Saturday, September 26, 2015

My day "off"

It's Saturday and it's my birthday!

My husband is helping some friends move today with a bunch of guys from their baseball team. My kids aren't with us until 10:00 a.m. tomorrow, so I have the whole day free, to do whatever I want!

Well, except my oldest stayed here last night, because his class trip was today, so I had to get up early and drive him to school. It was the one day where he told me, "Mom, it's time to go!" Usually, it's the other way around. And he really didn't need to tell me that, we were 15 minutes early as it was.

Since I was already out and about, I decided I would get gas at the cheap gas station near his school. Sadly, their network was down so I couldn't use my SmartPay app to save $0.10 per gallon, so I used my credit card to save 3% (not the same since gas is way less than $3.00 per gallon right now, but I'll take it!)

I talked myself in and out of getting my nails done the whole way home. True, I can do it myself since I gave up gel polish and acrylic years ago (but I do miss the look and the durability), but I decided if the salon I wanted to go to was open I would go. It was, so I did. I was their first and only customer the whole time I was there. The two women who were in the shop barely spoke to me at all so I watched a nature show on the TV that one of them turned on when she realized how quiet it was in there (aside from their sing-song chatter, which was really quite interesting to listen to, and when I told them so, but that I had no idea what they were saying, one of them told me that there is a new law in effect, which requires a much longer period to wait for permission to travel home to Viet Nam and something about green cards and passports, and sadly her brother is ill). We don't have cable and hardly watch much regular TV so seeing commercials is interesting for me, too. (We went out with some friends to celebrate my birthday last night and I had to keep reminding them of the fact that I don't really watch TV every time they brought up something on the news or a series they liked.) My nails were done and dry in 45 minutes and it was before 10:00 when I left. I practically had the whole day to myself still!

On the way home I decided to stop at the bank to deposit a check. Then I returned a friend's call on the way back to the house. The dogs were excited to see me and I thanked God for the mute button before my friend and I finished our conversation. I told them, "Go outside -- it's a beautiful day!" They were in and out pestering me for I don't know what for quite some time and the cat head butted me repeatedly as I leaned against the kitchen counter. I didn't know how all of a sudden the sink was full of dishes again, as I remembered how thrilled I was when my husband and I got home last night to find that someone had emptied the dishwasher.

"Oh my God!" I exclaimed.

My oldest came from the bathroom around the corner, "What is it?"

"The dishwasher is empty!"

"Yeah, I emptied it."

"I didn't even ask you!"

"Chill Mom. I thought something was wrong!"

"No -- I am overjoyed."

I regifted him all the Lindt chocolate candy that one of my friends had given me for my birthday. (I also managed to limit myself to two bites of the beautiful ice cream dessert that the servers brought to our table when they found out we were celebrating birthdays. I implored my husband to eat it (since I am afraid to trigger cravings), and what he didn't eat he hid behind a strategically placed napkin because I couldn't bear the sight of it being wasted, just like it bothers me to see unfinished cocktails...not that I would finish them, but I just don't understand how people can not finish their drinks?)

I briefly considered putting on latex gloves to protect my manicure, but actually I can't stand that feeling on my hands, especially if water accidentally gets inside. When I was done, I thought, "I know, I'll do a skin treatment today!"

On my way to the bathroom, I remembered I had those piles of clothes I needed to either move to the attic or donate, so I paused in the bedroom and sorted through all of them. Then, I figured I'd change the sheets, which generated at least two loads of laundry, which often takes an extra spin since with just a few items, things can get off balance. I knew that if I decided to take a nap on my day off, I'd appreciate it more if the comforter didn't smell like dog.

"Ugh, is that the cat box?" How one tiny cat can generate so much poop is beyond me. She has two litter boxes and my husband just cleaned them out the other day on trash day. On my way out to the trash can, the dogs slipped back in through the open door.

Then I thought I'd make myself a smoothie. All I'd had this morning was the leftovers of a chocolate cherry smoothie from yesterday and even though there was still half a cup left, I didn't feel like having that. So I made a pineapple-peach-celery-cucumber-squash smoothie and thought, "Ah ha! Now I can relax." But the dogs started circling me and whining so I engaged them for a bit before I sent them back out.

Where to begin?

I sat down at my personal computer and faced my work laptop in the other direction so I wouldn't be tempted to look at it, even though I know there is stuff I could finish up from the week...and figured I'd read through my emails. There is one person I've been meaning to get back to for weeks, and a friend who sent me an electronic greeting I want to reply to, but the site wanted me to log in (and didn't like the credentials I supplied), so I abandoned that. "I'll just write her a regular email, or send her a note on Facebook," I thought. Well, that was a bad idea. Social media is a time sink and before you know it, one thing leads to another and there I was on Instagram. It was already noontime. My day was half over!

I put my phone down out of arms reach and figured I'd do some writing and that is how I came to be writing this post. (I have probably five other posts that I started this past week in draft form that are taking up space in my head as well.) It is now past 1:00 and I haven't walked the dogs yet and I will have to leave here to go pick up by son at school and then take him to meet his father (who lives out of state) at 3:30. So, I better go do that and maybe I will look at some of the books I've been meaning to read, maybe I will watch one of the documentaries I put in my Netflix queue, or maybe I'll take a nap. Or maybe I'll buy myself those walking shoes on my wish list, that I put off until I took care of everyone's back-to-school needs (which included several pairs of sneakers, all of which cost more than the shoes I want for myself).

I'll have two whole hours to myself! (Well, depending on how long that dog walk takes...)

Oh, and the reason I posted the picture of my hand is not only to show off my manicure, but also to make a point that I can actually get ALL my rings on now (not just the engagement ring in the middle with the thin band).  (I am so glad I decided to reduce my size instead of having the rings enlarged.)

Gotta go, the clock is ticking!

No comments:

Post a Comment


But no one will see it

I set up the nativity in the back yard again this year. In the past it has been out front near the fire hydrant that is on our property, and...