Wednesday, September 23, 2015

My caffeine hangover

I was really dragging this morning and having trouble staying focused on work. I thought, "I should walk the dogs," but then, "I have so much work to do," and then, "I know -- I'll have a tea!"

I should have walked the dogs.

I made a tea and thought, "what the heck, a little milk won't kill me," because I needed something to cool it off.

And I was right, I don't think it was the milk that did it.

I went back to my desk and worked and sipped. When I was about 3/4 done with the cup, I realized I felt like I was running in high gear. I drained the cup in one last lukewarm gulp. I managed to accomplish a few things but then, while no longer tired, I was distracted.

Then I got hungry.

I was really hungry. I ate more today than I have in a long time. I tried to make all good choices, but the trail mix I snarfed out of the bag half an hour ago was uncontrolled. No matter how much I ate, I still felt hungry and hollow and tightly wound. I had to tell myself before I (finally) walked the dogs, "You are not really hungry; you have ingested plenty of calories to manage a dog walk."

Now I am tired and unmotivated, and even though I had planned to finish editing something and transcribe all the notes I took on my biweekly evening call with Australia, I don't think I'll be doing that. I momentarily considered the hair of the dog (making another tea), but rejected that idea.

Apparently, I have an increased sensitivity to caffeine. I had two iced teas the other night when we were out to eat...I don't know if that's different because I was eating food simultaneously, or maybe the person that made the iced tea actually removed the tea bags after the recommended period of time (something I never do...the tea bag stays in the cup until the cup is empty).

I considered adding chocolate chips to my trail mix. They were sitting right next to the trail mix in the cabinet. It must have been triggered by the caffeine, because I have had very few thoughts about sugar or candy since I started my smoothie adventure back in July. I have made a couple of pans of brownies in the past week or so and have not even wanted to pick the crumbs out of the pan after I cut them.

It's also possible that I have an increased sensitivity to how my body feels after not poisoning it with white food, processed food, or sugar for the past nearly three months. Could I have been walking around feeling like this without realizing it for the past who-knows-how-long?

Two thirds of my kids are already in their rooms. One dog still needs tucking. As soon as I help my oldest wrap up an essay, I'm calling it a night. Tomorrow is a new day.

No comments:

Post a Comment


But no one will see it

I set up the nativity in the back yard again this year. In the past it has been out front near the fire hydrant that is on our property, and...