Monday, August 24, 2015

Sugar addiction: my battle

I watched a documentary the other day called "Hungry for Change" about sugar addiction. I was so amazed (and validated) that I had to take notes. It said,

Unlike drug and alcohol addiction, food addiction is something you have to face all day, every day.“Sugar is the cocaine of the food world."



  • Sugar is a drug, just like alcohol is a drug. You need more and more and more over time to give you the same effect.

  • The way that cigarettes are addictive is the way that certain foods are addictive. MSG and free glutamates are in 80% of our food. (IDK what free glutamates are.) MSG obesity induced mice is how scientists make mice fat to study them.

  • Mammals are programmed to put on fat when food is available.

  • Man made food (sugar, bread, table salt) tricks your body into thinking you’re getting nutrients.

  • An indoor lifestyle is another problem.

  • Diet cola (aspartame) is addictive and it kills brain cells, and it makes you fat. (Watch out for other sources of fake sweetener, like gum.) (And I still need to learn whether stevia is okay. I get the idea that it is not, but it is in one of the products I use.)

  • What is sugar? Avoiding sugar means do not eat anything that converts immediately to sugar either, such as bread, pasta, cereal, rice, potatoes, pancakes, corn, and waffles (most things people eat for breakfast). (I actually paused and reviewed Netflix to make sure I got the list right.)

  • It’s not fat that makes you fat. It’s sugar that makes you fat.

  • To detox and cleanse your body is not hard. You need to eat foods with gelatinous fiber (aloe, chia seeds) and herbs like parsley and cilantro will help you clean the toxins out. (I'll take parsley; I just don't like cilantro at all.)

  • Cleansing = plant foods+ water + sunlight.


I am a sugar addict


I am definitely a sugar addict, which explains the vicious cycle I was on, and I am sure that the coffee addiction fueled the sugar addiction. Though, it could be a chicken and egg thing so I felt it best to cut both of them out.

Now when I get hungry, it doesn't usually take me by surprise, and I don't feel like I am going to crash if I don't eat something sweet immediately (like Lucky Charms out of the box -- gross).

What a relief to be off that roller coaster --

-- if only I can stay off it (updated 1/19/17).


Unlike drug and alcohol addiction, food addiction is something you have to face all day, every day. You do not need drugs and alcohol -- it's pretty much black and white. But food...there's no choice about eating. As I sit here and drink my morning smoothie, I feel really good about how I started off my day.

  • Glass of warm water

  • Go-cup of water with a greens supplement while I was driving my son to school

  • Decaf coffee (with milk, so if I am going to cut out animal products again, I'd replace this with coconut milk. I'm on the fence about this because I do like cheese...)


[bctt tweet="Food and sugar addiction is something you have to face all day, every day. You have no choice about eating." username="carolineposer"]

Last night I went to the gym and the supermarket and it was 8:00 by the time I was on my way home. I knew I was going to be hungry so I got some granola and started eating it out of the box. I continued to eat this somewhat mindlessly while I put the food away, fixed meatball subs for the Bigs (my older two),  and fixed a Caesar salad...for my husband. I realized I wasn't hungry anymore. I ate the rest of the romaine lettuce that wouldn't fit on my husband's plate and called it a night.

Every day is a new day. I start out great but something happens during the course of the day where I slide down that slippery slope and eat something that triggers a bad choice. I don't think granola is hugely bad...it did have 5 grams of protein and 5 grams of fiber -- but 13 grams of sugar. Per serving. God only knows how many servings I had because I was eating out of the box.

Sugar addiction is an ongoing struggle.


 

No comments:

Post a Comment


But no one will see it

I set up the nativity in the back yard again this year. In the past it has been out front near the fire hydrant that is on our property, and...