Sunday, October 4, 2015

On the bandwagon: a new use for "popsicles"

image

Here's one of my husband's smoothies from a couple of weeks ago. He has started having a smoothie a day, too! The other day, he said, "I'm going to have washboard abs by next baseball season." And he probably will. It seems that men lose weight much faster than women. He is not even specifically TRYING to lose weight; I think he is just being companionable by joining me on the smoothie bandwagon.

We have a bunch of frozen fruit bars in our freezer that need to get used up (since I quit eating them while watching late night TV, as was our habit during the spring; I quit some other habits my husband and I shared (trips to Dunks for coffee), too, which kind of upset the apple cart.

Here are the smoothies I made for my husband and myself yesterday.

[caption id="attachment_582" align="alignnone" width="300"]There are many ways to  make a smoothie There are many ways to make a smoothie[/caption]

Mine is on the top and includes broccoli and carrots as well as the supplements shown. My husband is still not ready for vegetables, seeds, or greens, but he has swapped cottage cheese for ice cream. I am using a greens supplement now because, aside from containing natural vitamins and enzymes (and probiotics), it's like eating multiple salads all at once -- but it doesn't make my smoothies taste bitter. And there are no leaves to get slimy and stick together, one of my biggest peeves with organic salad greens that I have bought in the supermarket. (Like I have the time or inclination to wash "triple washed, ready-to-eat" greens?)

A lot of my social media friends and my kids think my smoothies look unappealing or "gross" and I have reminded them that I didn't start out eating green smoothies. My first smoothie in Aruba was definitely more like a tropical cocktail than anything else.

[caption id="attachment_586" align="alignnone" width="169"]Delicious smoothie bowl for two, enjoyed in Aruba Delicious smoothie bowl for two, enjoyed in Aruba[/caption]

I don't have a lot of pictures of our vacation (mainly because I was avoiding the camera) but did find this gem above. You'll note that there are certainly no vegetables, seeds, or greens in that smoothie bowl.

No comments:

Post a Comment


But no one will see it

I set up the nativity in the back yard again this year. In the past it has been out front near the fire hydrant that is on our property, and...