Monday, July 20, 2015

Starting out right

I took a short hike this morning after I dropped the kids at camp. I tried not to feel guilty about work (since it was close to 10:00 a.m. when I got back to my desk), but I had to talk myself out of the panic I felt every time I thought about the fact that it was past 9:00 and I wasn't available by IM. I work at home so impression management is important.

However, I did work last night (Sunday evening) so I didn't miss time with my colleagues in Australia/New Zealand (when I have my conference call with them tonight it will already be tomorrow for them) and I signed on before we went to camp so I could get work with my European colleagues.

I think people (me) can be addicted to "busy" and it is unhealthy. I do not need any extra adrenaline coursing through my body and activating my stress hormones, which I think cause people (me) to carry weight around the middle.

The work will get done. I need to be healthy enough to do it. I need to be healthy enough to do a lot of things, like enjoy life, now, not someday (e.g., when I retire).

I felt energized by the breakfast smoothie I made, which contained a mix of fruits and vegetables, protein and fiber supplements, and almond milk. I thought the extra calories (of almond milk versus herb tea) would be useful since I'd be exercising. It's now almost noontime and I am only just feeling hungry. What a difference from how I would feel if I was drinking coffee. I'd be so hangry by now if I hadn't eaten...and I can only imagine the unhealthy choices I'd be compelled to make!

The other thing I wanted to mention is I am totally off coffee...this is my 3rd day or so. I didn't even have a "hot beverage" today  (such as miso or lemon water) -- I started with a glass of water and went straight to the smoothie.

No comments:

Post a Comment


But no one will see it

I set up the nativity in the back yard again this year. In the past it has been out front near the fire hydrant that is on our property, and...