Thursday, March 17, 2011

The choices we make (and the ones we don’t)


Last year's minor league summer team.
Dad was coach and youngest was bat boy.
 I was sitting alone -- cross legged on the floor in the “skybox” overlooking the gym in the high school with my forehead pressed against the Plexiglas for the second time this week.

Tonight was my middle son’s baseball evaluation (my oldest's was two nights ago.)

The custodian said to me, “You know, So-and-so is downstairs tonight, giving a talk…”

I said, “Oh, yeah, I read about that…”

“You’re welcome to go down, she’s in the theater right downstairs.”

“Oh, thanks, but I can’t. I want to watch my son bat,” even though “An Evening with So-and-so” was touted as a highlight of Women’s History Month featuring So-and-so – Host of her own travel series on the Travel Channel. As a strong woman of today, she will discuss her career, her travels, and the strong women who have inspired her in her success. There will be an opportunity for questions and answers following her presentation.

I actually had to watch my son bat. He kept looking up to make sure I was watching him, whenever he was waiting his turn at each of the stations.

“How did you do, honey?”
“Okay. I missed the first two pitches.”
“Yeah, I saw. But if you were in a baseball game, I bet would have got on base – you hit the third pretty well.”
“Pitching was when I was in really in my baseball zone. I felt like everyone around me was Jacoby Ellsbury and Josh Becket.”
“Yeah, I saw that, too. Well, good – I’m so happy it’s baseball season!”
"Me, too, Mom."

Though, I didn’t know how I was going to juggle three teams (majors, minors, and tee-ball). I had hoped that my older two could be on the same team, but that would mean once again, my middle son would have to play up. He’s 9 and even though a few of his classmates, at age 10, were eligible to try out for the next level, most of the other players are 11 and 12. Would that be the right thing to do for my convenience? He had already played on three teams (last spring and summer) at the minor level…though, maybe it would be better for The Bigs to be on separate teams, with separate friends, and separate identities (and not competing against each other for the coveted pitching spot). I had hoped that we could have at least one of the same coaches from last year (if the boys were on the same team) and both coaches (if they were not), until I found out that one of my sons’ friend’s dad was coaching... Too much orchestrating! I talked with both boys tonight and we decided that whatever happens, happens, and we’ll be alright with it.



No comments:

Post a Comment


But no one will see it

I set up the nativity in the back yard again this year. In the past it has been out front near the fire hydrant that is on our property, and...