Wednesday, April 3, 2019

The trapped bird

I wondered what the heck the dogs were barking about and went to let them in off the screened porch. I don’t like them outside barking too much because I don’t want to be the annoying neighbor.

That’s when I saw the bird, frantically flying against the screens and pecking intermittently. Occasionally it made peeping noises.
.
It had flown in flew in through the door that I leave open for the dogs to go in and out, but couldn’t figure out how to get back out.

I opened the slider and put the dogs inside. Before I closed the door, I let the curtain down so it covered the glass slider and they couldn’t see me or the bird.

I tried to coax the bird towards the door. “C’mon little bird, don’t be afraid, just go that way…”
I’m not sure the bird was going to be comforted by a human voice, but certainly my voice isn’t as scary as three dogs barking at it?

Every time I got it close to the door, it would get stuck behind the door, or go back the other way.
A couple of times it tucked itself up under the frame around the top corners of the screens.

I decided to give the bird a break and see if it would figure out what to do if no one was around. I didn’t want it to have a heart attack or crash so hard into something it broke its neck (which sadly happened to another bird on our porch on a different occasion).

I peeked out a few times and it was still flapping desperately against the screens.

I figured maybe it would tire itself out and then I could get it to step onto a small branch, so I could carry it out the way I had helped a hummingbird off our porch once.

It didn’t like the branch. It didn’t like me talking to it. It wouldn’t stop beating its little self against the screens. I could hear its bird friends in the trees calling to it. (I imagine they were friends, but I don’t really know. Maybe they were also stressed out by this bird’s flailing and chirping.)

Eventually, our girl dog had to go potty and asked to be let out.

I opened the door and herded her straight off the porch and went down to the yard with her.

When I came back, the bird was standing on top of the dog crate, all puffed up, with its head hidden beneath its wing.

“I am so sorry, little bird. This must be so hard for you! The door is right over there but you’re so freaked out you can’t figure out how to get out there.”

I knew I was going to have to put a towel over it and carry it outside. I have done that with bats that have found their way into our family room a time or two (I have no idea how the bats get in, unless it’s through the attic and they can squeeze through tiny cracks under doors like mice?)

I went in to get a dish towel and returned to the porch.

I hesitated, and told the bird, “This is going to be awful for a little while but you are going to have to trust me and please don’t flap around. I don’t want to hurt you. It’s going to be dark, and then I am going to pick you up and carry you outside and you will be free.”

Then I placed the towel over the bird quickly. It struggled a little bit, and I tucked the towel under it as I scooped it up.

The back yard was alive with bird sounds. I imagined the little bird’s friends were cheering it on. Beyond the electronic fence zone, I set the bird and towel down on the ground next to a large branch that had fallen during a winter storm, and gently tugged at the top of the towel to remove it from the bird.

“Voila, little bird!”

Apparently, it was stunned because it just stood there. I retreated to the porch and watched it for a little while until it began to peck at the ground.

The next time I looked out, it was gone.

There have been times when I have been that little bird.

There are times I have felt trapped, and beat my head against the wall (figuratively) trying to find a solution to a problem. There are times I have felt so defeated I give up and want to hide. I can’t really hide, so I might immerse myself in work, take a nap, procrastinate, or eat foods I know I shouldn’t…whatever it takes to avoid the problem I can’t solve.

Sometimes the problem is solved by a power greater than myself: the coworker I don’t get along with gets a new job, for example. Other times, if I get over my fear or whatever is holding me back from figuring things out, and face it head on, I am able to work through it.

I’d like to think that if I shared my problem with my friends, they would cheer me on, but I’m not often a problem sharer. Not asking for help is one of my weaknesses.


Little bird, don’t be afraid to ask for, and accept, help.

Follow my blog with Bloglovin

No comments:

Post a Comment


But no one will see it

I set up the nativity in the back yard again this year. In the past it has been out front near the fire hydrant that is on our property, and...