Monday, November 19, 2018

Seeing things for the first time

This is about the day my oldest saw things from my perspective, which is an essential step in developing empathy -- or in other words, not becoming an entitled, self-absorbed tween.

"But Mah-am! They’re not listening to me!" My oldest wailed.

His younger brothers had been goofing off all morning. I had put my oldest in charge of getting them moved along after I’d clicked the TV off with a grandiose flourish 20 minutes earlier.

I was tired of saying the same thing overandoverandoverandover:…

“Get dressed boys – we don’t want to be late for your brother’s basketball game!"…

in between serving them breakfast, reminding them to eat it (with their hands and not their feet in the case of my youngest), and admonishing them to use napkins instead of the furniture...

...and then, their rendering of “Who let the dogs out?” on percussion instruments.

We really had to go and my oldest hates being late.

"Now you know how I feel every morning when I ask you guys to 'get up, get going, get your spirit showing' " (which means get up, get dressed, eat, brush, and get out the door in time for the bus – my high school cheerleading skills have proven useful in adulthood).

"But this is important!"

"So is the school bus. So is being on time for church! So is everything I try to motivate you to do -- or not do!"

"But Mah-am!" He sputtered. There was nothing more he could say as the realization sunk in.

"Now you get it," I said to him, and then returned to the living room to help him prod his brothers along.

"Time's up, get off the couch, get moving. We can't be late for your brother's game."

"Thank you, mom," my oldest said, as I relieved him of his duty.

No comments:

Post a Comment


But no one will see it

I set up the nativity in the back yard again this year. In the past it has been out front near the fire hydrant that is on our property, and...