Monday, February 20, 2017

How to turn resentment into gratitude

How to turn resentment into gratitudeImagine if instead of saying “I have to,” you said, “I get to.” How would your attitude change?

Think how quickly you could turn resentment into gratitude.

I am sure this isn’t a new concept and it’s quite possible I’ve heard it somewhere before – I’m just not sure where. It’s very likely it’s from my late mom.

She often pursued and shared ideas for positive thinking. She had given me books by Norman Vincent Peale about the power of positive thinking. Additionally, I remember when we all wore the purple “Complaint Free World” bracelets and switched wrists every time we caught ourselves complaining. (We switched a lot: People are surprisingly negative.)

This idea just popped into my head as if spoken to me the other day. Right when I was feeling all draggy and drudge-y, I had the lightbulb moment. It was Saturday and I put off getting up because I had a lot of chores on the list and I’d just had a LOOOooooooong work week and didn’t want to do anything.

I decided that since it was Saturday, what’s the rush? So my husband and I had coffee in bed. I read some of a book I’ve been eager to get back to (It's Always by My Side, by Edward Grinnan). Then the idea came: I don’t have to get up; I get to get up. I get to clean the kitchen, go to the supermarket, clean the toilet and so on.

So, today is a typical Monday. Instead of being all cranky that it’s Monday, I’m going to turn resentment into gratitude with the “I get to” mindset.

(Reminder: this is the day that the Lord has made. We can rejoice and be glad in every day – not just Friday!)

[bctt tweet="Swap “I have to” for “I get to” and turn resentment into gratitude." username="carolineposer"]

Check this out.

Typical Monday: Ughhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh. Monday! Hit snooze a bunch of times until...

♦ I have get to get up.

I am lucky I can get up. Some people are bedridden. My son works at a Pediatric Care center where the residents cannot get up by themselves.

♦ I have get to shower.

I appreciate our warm and clean running water, which is something that 783 million people in the world do not have.

♦ I have get to get dressed.

How fortunate I am to have clean, seasonally appropriate clothes to wear! I might not wear brand-name styles, but that’s not so important to me.

♦ I have get to fix food for my family.

We have food in the cabinets! We don’t need to worry about where our next meal is coming from. At one time we were patrons of our local food pantry. The food pantry is generous so we never experienced food insecurity, unlike the 42.2 million Americans who do.

♦ I have get to unload the dishwasher.

I’m glad that we have a dishwasher. That has not always been the case: All my life growing up we did not have one. In our old house, the dishwasher was broken for a year before I managed to get someone over to fix it.

♦ I have get to go to work.

Thank God I have work. I was laid off in 2014 but never missed a day of work since then.

♦ I have get to pay bills.

I’m grateful we can afford to pay our bills, as well as for the fact that I work at home and can take care of household things intermittently throughout the day, such as throw a load of clothes in the wash.

♦ I have get to walk the dogs.

I need the exercise. Getting out is good for all of us!

♦ I have get to take someone to piano / hockey / basketball.

I’m blessed to be able to afford enrichment activities for my kids.

♦ I have get to go to the gym.

By the end of the day I usually don’t want to do this, but I’ve never regretted a trip to the gym and they’ve got massage chairs there!

♦ I have get to work on that side gig.

I’m thankful I have a side gig. It’s how I pay for private school tuition.

♦ I have get to throw in a load of clothes before bed.

I’m so happy I don’t have to hang my clothes anymore – or go to the laundromat!

See how easy it is to turn resentment into gratitude?

Happy Monday everyone!

xoxox, Carlie

2 comments:

  1. Thank you Caroline for reminding me of the power of positivity and how with just one word changing, our mindset can change! ❤ -Laura

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have to remind myself a lot. This one really does help, especially when you're doing something really drudge-y and thankless! Thanks for reading and commenting! xoxox <3

    ReplyDelete


But no one will see it

I set up the nativity in the back yard again this year. In the past it has been out front near the fire hydrant that is on our property, and...