Sunday, November 6, 2016

Changing the clocks

Happy fallI don't know whether now is standard time or savings time, but whatever. The clocks have changed and the days are shorter and it makes me sad. And tired.

We slept in, kind of...first the dogs needed to go out...then my oldest got up to go do a day of service at his school so I got up to make him breakfast and help him find the rake -- he doesn't know where it is because he doesn't do that kind of service at home -- and then I went back to bed. I couldn't really sleep so I scrolled through Instagram (I don't look at that very often -- it's hard to keep up with all the platforms and I don't even know why I try. Some people are really good at Pinterest but I am so...not good at it. Yet. I don't know, maybe there's hope for me. I am contributing to a group board currently.

I had a St. Jude fundraising meeting at noon today and then went to return some stuff at the mall (clothes I had bought but realized I was being frivolous and if I haven't worn them yet and nearly a month has gone by, I am probably not going to wear them).. By the time I got home I was starving so I made a quick smoothie and then my husband and I took the dogs out for a walk. It was probably 3:00 p.m. and the shadows were already getting long. I noticed I really didn't need my sunglasses because it was kind of cloudy. I asked my husband if it had rained here today because it rained when I was leaving the meeting, which was several towns away. It felt depressing. I tried not thinking about the upcoming winter. I hate being cold. I hate the dark. I can't seem to stop eating bread and other carbs! I think my body wants to hibernate. I am sore from my massage yesterday. Sigh.

Just when I didn't think I could shuffle along any further and think any more gloomy thoughts, I looked up and saw a faint rainbow.

This very faint rainbow is a bright spot in an otherwise gloomy day"Look at that, honey!" I shouted to my husband, who was behind me with one of the dogs who was probably sniffing something, otherwise he'd be racewalking with the dog at the end of my leash while the two humans tried not to get tangled up in their leashes as they zigged and zagged. "Look at that rainbow! I wonder if I can get a picture of that?" I whipped out my phone and tore off my animal print glove (which didn't match the pink glove on my other hand, but I just took the first right and left gloves I could find in my cubby. The fact that I even needed gloves bugs me).

"Probably not -- you can hardly see it."

"I can see it!"

I snapped a picture and took the sighting as a sign that even though it is getting cold, dark, and cloudy, there are still bright spots. Winter is coming and the days are getting shorter but the rainbow is a reminder to me that spring comes after winter and everything will be new again!

“It shall be, when I bring a cloud over the earth, that the rainbow shall be seen in the cloud; and I will remember My covenant which is between Me and you and every living creature of all flesh; the waters shall never again become a flood to destroy all flesh.” (Genesis 9:14-15)

2 comments:

  1. a very well written account of the approaching change in climate. we are entering winter too. I have set out to take all the winter clothing from the closet to get them ready for my family. winters are always special with great barbeques and quite dinners

    ReplyDelete
  2. caroline@carolineposer.comNovember 7, 2016 at 11:41 PM

    Hi Menaka! I just did some of the clothing swap this morning! My cat followed me into the attic. It gets very cold here in winter. We don't do a lot outside! I am gathering the temperatures must be more moderate where you are. :-)

    ReplyDelete


But no one will see it

I set up the nativity in the back yard again this year. In the past it has been out front near the fire hydrant that is on our property, and...