Wednesday, September 28, 2016

Keeping track of everything (trying to, anyway)

I keep track of everything -- not!"I took your phone charger out of your car and lent it to your brother," I announced to my oldest, who was doing his homework at the kitchen table.

My middle son had texted me moments before, as I was pulling into the driveway, asking me if I'd stop at Rite Aid and get him a charger because his phone was on 6% and his charger was no longer working even if he positioned it in the magical way that he'd been doing to limp along for "like weeks, Mom!" Funny how the day before was the first I'd heard of it. I imagine my kids think  I can keep track of -- or even anticipate -- their needs?

I told him, "Hon, it's 10:00. Everything is closed." I was lucky to sneak in a workout at the gym before they kicked me out. Catching up on presidential debate coverage, I didn't realize I was the last one there until 9:55 p.m. when one of the staff asked me if I was going to buy anything because he was closing out the register.

"You can use  your brother's overnight," I suggested. I retrieved it from his brother's car and delivered it to him.

My oldest was less than thrilled. I told him, "Don't worry, you'll have it back in the morning."

"Are you sure you won't forget?"

"I'm not gonna forget! I keep track of EVERYthing." Both he and my husband, who sitting alongside my son in the kitchen, raised their eyebrows and scoffed.

I hmmmphed at them and said, "People. Dogs. The Cat. Shopping. Cooking. Laundry...Never mind my job." I breezed past them muttering in my mind. Bills. Cleaning...well, I'm not so great at that...Eye Doctor. Dentist. Fundraising...Did I remember to send that email?...

The next morning my oldest and I were on our way to school. He is driving with his learner's permit so I travel with him daily. I admitted, "I forgot your charger."

He smirked a little.

"You were right," I told him. "Sorry. I guess I can't keep track of everything!"

"It's okay, Mom."

I texted his brother, who I had told the night before, "I have to make sure your brother gets this back tomorrow morning,"

I did not get the charger back

Oops. I guess I have reached my threshold for keeping track of things, which occasionally happens. I probably should have written frequently if I don't write myself a reminder on a sticky note.

When I got back from dropping my son at school, I grabbed the charger off the railing and tossed it into his car.

How do you keep track of your to do list?

xoxox, Carlie

2 comments:

  1. Sticky notes are the only thing that works for me too! I stick them on the back of my phone. Lol. I've tried "sticky note apps" but you actually have to open the app to remember what you need to do---- I need a sticky note to remind me to open the app...... Clearly my mind is not ready for technological ways. I need to see hard ink on hard paper. Lol!

    ReplyDelete
  2. caroline@carolineposer.comSeptember 28, 2016 at 9:05 PM

    I stick them on my phone, in my car, in a folder, on my notebook, on the wall...I also set alarms on my phone in case I walk away from the calendar alarms on my computer! I still like stuff in writing, too. (I have a paper calendar in addition to the computer ones.)

    ReplyDelete


But no one will see it

I set up the nativity in the back yard again this year. In the past it has been out front near the fire hydrant that is on our property, and...