Thursday, September 11, 2014

9/11

Every September 11 I have the same conversations with my sons. They always ask me what I was doing when the airplanes hit the twin towers. I tell them, “I was watching Sesame Street with you, you were taking a morning nap, and you weren’t born yet.”

Then I think about how I had called my friend’s house and her husband answered. I asked him what he was doing home. He said, “Aren’t you watching the news!?”

I said, “Of course not, I’m watching Sesame Street.” But I guess that wasn’t as logical to him as it was to me because they did not have children yet.

He said, “You better turn on the news.”

I clicked over. “Holy…”

Neither of us spoke and I could hear my friends’ TV through the phone. We were watching different channels but the story was the same.

“I’ll call you back later…” and I clicked off the phone. It wasn’t long before I saw a plane hit the second tower. I couldn’t watch much longer because I had to take care of my babies, but I wanted to. I don’t know anyone (except those born since) who wasn’t affected in some way by the terrorist attack on America that day.

Last year I mentioned to my middle son that his baptism had been scheduled for the Sunday following September 11, 2001. The church was filled to overflowing, and there were people there we didn’t even know so it certainly wasn’t because of his baptism.

“That’s not so good.”

“Why not, hon?” I couldn't imagine he was thinking about how the sheet cake I'd bought would have been enough for all those people, which was one of the things I wondered.

“People shouldn’t just turn to God when tragedies happen.”

“Well, I think that is exactly when a lot of people do find God – through tragedies or trials.

“But people should turn to God all the time.”

“A lot of people do. But a lot of people don’t. Some never do.”

We were silent for a while, drifting into our own thoughts.


I didn’t write about this last year because I had no answers. I still don’t. I may never understand why “bad” things happen. I can’t imagine ever seeing a silver lining to a terrorist attack on America. The only reason I am writing anything at all is to honor this day of remembrance. God bless America.

No comments:

Post a Comment


But no one will see it

I set up the nativity in the back yard again this year. In the past it has been out front near the fire hydrant that is on our property, and...