Friday, December 17, 2010

Dream big

I had left a Toys R Us catalog on the dining room table and told my boys they could circle the items they liked. My middle son went first. He chose red pen. Then my youngest, with a green pen. All the while, my oldest was peeking over their shoulders, censoring them.

“You can’t circle that!”
“You’re never gonna get that!”
“That’s way too much!”
“You don’t need that!”
You can’t have that – I wanted that!”

I had to keep reminding him that I had only asked them to circle the things they liked. Not once did I make any promises about what they would actually get, and oh-by-the-way, “how would I know anyway, what Santa might be planning?”

When it was my oldest’s turn (in brown pen), he circled a few things of his own, along with some Barbie and Hello Kitty items (with “J.K.” written next to them). I also noticed that he had crossed out some of his brothers’ selections, further editing their choices.

I told the boys, while looking pointedly at my oldest, “It’s okay to both want the same thing. It’s okay not to want the same thing. You're not in charge of deciding what someone else does or doesn't want."

They all proceeded to vie for additional turns with the catalog, which is how it attained its "well-loved" look.

"It’s also okay to want something even if you have no idea how you might get it. How are you ever going to get what you want out of life if you don’t know what you want?”

2 comments:

  1. We did that with the Lego catalog last year! I think the pen ran out of ink before too long! I was pleased to see that neither of our boys circled the $399. Lego set, when I asked them why, the said they didn't want to strap Santa and prevent him from getting toys for other kids. This, of course, is just after they circled darn near everything else in the catalog. LOL!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am hoping that no one remembers what was circled...they all told me what they "really wanted" and it wasn't anything in the catalog...

    ReplyDelete


But no one will see it

I set up the nativity in the back yard again this year. In the past it has been out front near the fire hydrant that is on our property, and...