Saturday, February 28, 2009

The basement


What is it going to take to get the kids to spend time in the room downstairs I've set up for them? Granted there is no ceiling so you can see the wood beams and wood from the underside of the floor above (of our sturdy circa 1890 house). There used to be cobwebs (which I cleaned out), but now it's just a few wires snaking tidily across the beams, and a network of cable that is not so tidy. There's heat down there. Games, puzzles, plenty of seating, a rug, a coffee table, and a big TV with X-Box attached. Still, they don't like to go down there. I was hoping that at least on Pasta Night, they'd hang out there, but it seems they'd rather entertain their friends in their room and trash it or hang out in the living room, which is sometimes a little too close for comfort for some of us adults (Pasta Night has maxed out at 24 people; most recently we had 20).

I am at the point where I think I'll move the cable box downstairs. I wonder if that would do it. I have considered it in the past and my mom suggested not because what would we do about Family Movie Night? But, that is usually a video, so I could just keep the DVD player upstairs (you can play DVDs in the X-Box that is already in the basement.) My oldest insists he wants privacy, and his own room. So, I offered him the basement and he said no. I just don't know why. I imagine when he is 12 or so maybe it would be cool. (I have no intention of giving up my office, like Mr. Brady did.) It's not like I am trying to banish them. I just want them to have their own space, rather than taking up so much space in the midst of the common areas. (And maybe one day my oldest will figure out why it doesn't make sense to practice his recorder in the middle of the living room when his brother is trying to do homework and I am packing lunches.)

No comments:

Post a Comment


But no one will see it

I set up the nativity in the back yard again this year. In the past it has been out front near the fire hydrant that is on our property, and...