Saturday, October 11, 2008

The (butt)crack of dawn

Why? Do my kids get up so early on weekends?

I was awakened pre-7 a.m. to the sound of scuffling, giggling, and then arguing, "Get offa me!" My middle son has a habit of draping himself in other people's space.

I am in my office, trying to finish my second cup of now-cold coffee in peace, after having migrated all of the kids out of their bedroom, one through shower and getting dressed, two through breakfeast (oddly it was my youngest who was self-sufficient in this regard)...

My oldest said to me when I poured him his cereal earlier, "C'mon Mom! What kind of bowl is that!?" (I glared at him and said calmly, "How dare you talk to me like that?" And then I stood in front of him so he could not see the TV until he thanked me.)

I hear banging, crashing, "I was there first!", tapping, squeaky springs (from someone bouncing on the compromised section of the couch), cabinets slamming, laughing...

I am sure I will be greeted by a big mess when I emerge...oh, well, the price of a few moments of (relative) peace...

No comments:

Post a Comment


But no one will see it

I set up the nativity in the back yard again this year. In the past it has been out front near the fire hydrant that is on our property, and...