Saturday, July 16, 2016

I joined a gym online

Now I just have to get there in person!Selfie for Health Blogging

A new gym opened up so close to our house that I could walk! I stopped in when it was still under construction and got some basic info and told myself I'd sign up because they had a $1 membership fee special...but then baseball season happened.

My three kids plus my husband all play baseball. My husband is also a coach (for a different team than any of my kids). Altogether that is five teams. None of my kids drives yet so my entire Spring was a logistical nightmare. I love baseball but I saw a handful or less of games because all I did was drive kids from here to there. I only made it to two of my husband's games, which is a bummer because hanging out with the baseball wives is part of my social life.

That has been the story of my life for the past 16 years since I became a mom. It's usually all about the kids and then I am too exhausted to do anything for myself. I was a single mom for a long time, too. So, let me back up.

A year ago I had a major a ha moment where I realized I had to do something different because I was heading down a very bad path healthwise. I made some significant changes to my eating habits and dropped 45 pounds and kind of plateaued since January. I ran several 5Ks in April, May, and June and haven't done much other than walk the dog since then (though I do use a Fitbit with a goal of 10K steps a day). The reason I chose the picture I did for the post is that I'm wearing one of my favorite shirts that I can fit into again!

I told myself I'd join when baseball season ended (except it didn't because my youngest plays summer ball), when school got out, when I finished this or that project, when I got back from vacation. Well, I got back on Sunday and on Monday or Tuesday I heard on the radio that the $1 down sale again!

At 11 p.m. on the day the deal was ending, I joined online! That was two days ago. Now the challenge is to get there! During college I worked in a gym and I belonged to a local gym before I had kids but it has been a long time and I feel nervous just thinking about it. The sign-up process was friendly and encouraging and the gym talks about its "judgment free zone," but still...

So, my goal for today is to just show up!

No comments:

Post a Comment


But no one will see it

I set up the nativity in the back yard again this year. In the past it has been out front near the fire hydrant that is on our property, and...