Tuesday, July 14, 2015

The devil, sugar

Today I needed to find a place with WiFi near my son's camp. It doesn't make sense to go all the way home and then have to turn around less than three hours later to go back to pick him up. (This is one week of a specialty half-day camp.) I had three free options for WiFi near the camp, but one was going to be too noisy (I had to participate in and host conference calls), so I went to Starbucks.

I sat in the parking lot for the part where I was on calls, and then went inside. Usually I go to Dunks so I am not familiar with the Starbucks menu, and knowing I did not want any of their coffee (it's super strong, and I am not drinking (more than one cup a day) of coffee) so I asked,

"Do you have any iced tea without sugar?"

"Oh, none of our teas..." (I am not sure the server said "have sugar" or "are sweetened.")

So I ordered this strawberry acai thing. I told the server I'd have medium. (I did not notice that the sizes are tall, grande, venti, and trenta, whatever that translates to.)

Come to find out, of course this damn beverage has sugar in it. I had just spent $3-something on a medium sized sugar water with strawberry slices floating in it (and threw the rest of my $5 bill in their tip cup). But hey, free WiFi.

I think it had at least 16 grams of sugar, too.

And yes, I drank the whole thing. I wonder if that was part of what made me think about coffee late afternoon or that I should justify eating ice cream? (Neither of which I did, I just wanted to.)

Sugar is sneaky. It goes by many names. It appears where you least expect it. It is a slippery slope. It is the devil.

 

2 comments:

  1. […] the thing is, I really don’t need any cookies. I was just hungry. And maybe a little tired and stressed out. Sugar is poison, and I am apparently […]

    ReplyDelete
  2. […] I don’t feel like I am going to crash if I don’t eat something sweet immediately (like Lucky Charms out of the box — […]

    ReplyDelete


But no one will see it

I set up the nativity in the back yard again this year. In the past it has been out front near the fire hydrant that is on our property, and...