Monday, November 10, 2014

My quiet period

I have been taking the SEO class online and it has opened up the door to a whole new world related to internet marketing. I had heard the saying “content is king” but that is not even the tip of the iceberg. It has to be content that goes places and works for you. I have also heard that you should blog every day, which I obviously haven't been making time to do. I don’t even have time to write the book I have been trying to put together for the last two-plus years (“Boy to the World!”). I have a lot of content, and I have things for sale (my books, and every so often, they do sell and writing/editing services, if I considered marketing those more blatantly) but my content isn’t really going anywhere or doing anything for me. (Something to think about).

I learned about content mills and crowdsourcing.
I even signed up for a content mill and got paid three cents a word to churn out ghost write content in my spare time that ends up I don’t know where. (I imagine I could google on some of the keywords I wrote about or run the copy through the plagiarism checker again and see what comes up.) Content mills seem to be like a fast-food version of writing (and many “real” writers slam it on their blogs)…the pay is not good but it’s good experience, i.e., I am very well versed in the AP Manual of Style at this time (but in my personal writing do not care to give up the Oxford comma). (Years ago as a freelance marcom writer, I charged $100 a word if that helps to shed some light on the fast-food comment.) Crowd sourcing just might be how I can get my book laid out and proof read – and get the cover designed for a marginal fee. Note that this is crowdsourcing, which is like an electronic marketplace of (micro) services as opposed to crowdfunding, where you ask for money to fund your project. I can’t say how well I think that would work since I am still waiting for someone to buy me a cup of coffee (note link on top of right nav).

So, I am thinking about article marketing now, either submitting my own stuff for more exposure (and backlinks) or adding other people’s content to my site (but maybe not this one, so that’s another whole thing to consider…), or both.

No comments:

Post a Comment


But no one will see it

I set up the nativity in the back yard again this year. In the past it has been out front near the fire hydrant that is on our property, and...