Friday, November 21, 2014

Coffee Talk this week

Caroline Poser, "Coffee Break Columnist," at an event with her books
It has been an exciting week, kicked off by the 2nd annual author open house at our local library. I saw some old friends and made some new ones, too. The cool thing for me was being around other like-minded people, and I got inspired to push forward with my next book (mainly because I had been talking about it since last year’s author open house. I need to get in Nike mode and just do it.) I am working on securing endorsements (so if anyone wants to send me a couple of sentences about why you like reading my stuff that would be super), cover design ideas (and yes, I have contacted a designer), and introductory copy.
Caroline Poser with other authors, Katharine Grubb and Christine Lindemer
My SEO class is pretty good so I decided to take another online course about ghostwriting.
There are more ghost-writing opportunities “out there” than I ever imagined. Remember my $.03 cent writing exercise – well that has been a door opener to other kinds of writing opportunities, like product copy and financial writing. I have a whole blog set up for financial writing, but have not made it public yet because while the topic interests me immensely, I have to reign myself in and be realistic.

I monetized my YouTube account. This was a rather whimsical thing to do because I don’t have a lot of content that I share (and showing ads to the people who look at the vids will probably be more annoying than not); I was actually trying to figure out something related to a project I am managing for work and didn’t want to experiment on the corporate YouTube channel. I figured out how to associate and verify my blog with my YouTube account. I am not sure why yet but the framework will be in place when I think of a good reason. I just keep thinking about that high school kid with the $60K a year income… earning additional income from writing on the side is cool, but earning passive income that has nothing to do with trading hours for dollars would be even cooler.

Phone shaming picture from Caroline Poser's "Coffee Talk"
The main thing I wanted to mention is that I have a column that appeared on Ten to Twenty yesterday and will likely be published in my local papers this week. You can read it here. It’s about the ongoing cell phone negotiations with my kids. The issue might become more pressing as one of them put his phone through the wash the other day (it was not a passive aggressive play for a new phone, I am sure.) It is currently sitting in a bag of rice that we’re praying over from time to time.


This last bit was the main point of my post actually. Now I am two lessons behind in my SEO class so I am going to catch up with that.

No comments:

Post a Comment


But no one will see it

I set up the nativity in the back yard again this year. In the past it has been out front near the fire hydrant that is on our property, and...