Friday, November 14, 2014

Client interview, reality TV, and memes

“I have a client interview with some people from Norway today,” I was telling my son about this in the car on the way to school, in conjunction with our schedule-for-the-day discussion (he has a Latin quiz second period and I don’t have any meetings in the 2:30 time frame so what time did he want me to pick him up?). I told him I wasn’t sure how to pronounce the names because they have uncommon (to English) special characters in them. He reminded me, “You can look that up, Mom.”

“Yes, you’re right! I will!” (And I did.)

Then we somehow got on the subject of reality TV and how absurd it is and who are these people, and why do I care. Except maybe Ozzy Osbourne or Gene Simmons…I might be interested in them if we had cable and if I had any extra time on my hands, which I generally don’t.

“Ozzy Osbourne is a little creepy, Mom.”

“Well, I don’t know. I think that’s just his persona. Who knows what he’s really like? That would be why I would want to watch that kind of show.”

“Nick Cage is also creepy.”

“Who’s Nick Cage?”

“You don’t know who Nick Cage is?”

“Well, do you mean Nicholas Cage, the actor?”

“Yeah.”

“Oh, I like him okay. Except there was one scary movie with John Travolta that was pretty creepy.”

“There’s a meme about him you know. Do you know what a meme is?”

“Yes, honey. It’s like something that gets passed around the internet, like the Angry Cat thing.”

“Yeah. Grumpy Cat. Can I see your phone?”

He proceeded to look up the Nicholas Cage meme and show me funny pictures made using Nicholas Cage’s face. I didn’t really get the point but I did look and acknowledge and comment.

Then I told him about the Six Degrees of Kevin Bacon, which was a meme way back from the time before social media. (So um, yes, of course I know what a meme is.)


We do have some interesting conversations during the hour-plus a day we spend in the car together. Sometimes it the price I have to pay for giving up two or more hours a day to drive to and from school feels very high (basically it means I have two or more hours less to do other things like work, exercise, or take care of the house). But the time I have to spend with my son, because it will be relatively short lived (since he’ll be getting his license not long from now), is priceless. 

2 comments:

  1. Funny, when I looked at that cat, I thought man it looks like Nicholas Cage.. Then the blog made it, make sense. Don't you love kids?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I liked that Nicholas Cage/John Travolta movie.

    ReplyDelete


But no one will see it

I set up the nativity in the back yard again this year. In the past it has been out front near the fire hydrant that is on our property, and...