Sunday, August 17, 2014

The next right thing

Yesterday I was talking with someone about facebook and my love-hate relationship with it. She's not on facebook and had the impression that it was just a bunch of people's opinions. I told her, "Oh, no -- there's news, too..." (then I realized that is ridiculous because "news" is oftentimes opinionated, but for the purpose of that conversation, I didn't go there.) I told her I follow newspapers and magazines and company websites. She told me her daughter uses facebook as a private community just for her friends. I started to tell her that purpose was achievable by adjusting your settings, but stopped. It was irrelevant.

I imagined what it would be like if I was not on facebook. Would I read more books, magazines, newspapers? Would I send private messages another way? I have one good friend who I can only communicate with on facebook messenger or by calling (but her voicemail is always full). Our phones don't talk to each other any more since I switched to Android and she upgraded to whatever iOS is current now.

I thought about what if I just used my "author" page and simplified things? I used to have two twitter accounts (work and personal) and now I have one (personal). I still don't use it (unless you count the things that post there automatically from instagram).

This morning I took a look at my author page and realized (that I wanted to change the profile pic and) that someone had sent me a message more than a month ago about contributing to their teens and tweens website. After I got over my initial embarrassment about not noticing the message until now, I felt a spark of inspiration about the potential for a new niche, new meaning and purpose.

That's my good news for this morning and I just finished my cup of coffee (not as big as in the pic above) so now it's time to go to...guess where...baseball!

No comments:

Post a Comment


But no one will see it

I set up the nativity in the back yard again this year. In the past it has been out front near the fire hydrant that is on our property, and...