Saturday, August 16, 2014

Good news



I have been toying with the idea of writing a "good news" blog (and limiting my facebook activity). I guess that's two ideas...that go hand in hand, since I publish my blog to facebook.

The thing about facebook is, there is a lot of negative stuff that shows up in my newsfeed. I don't know why. I don't "like" negative stuff. But I do like things like pitbulls, so I wind up getting a lot of news about pitbulls, which is often bad. For example. I guess the algorithm facebook uses to serve up content is not discerning enough. I am sick of filling my brain with negativity.

The other thing is, my oldest son just joined facebook. So, I really can't be posting the kind of stuff I usually do, which is mostly pictures of my kids. In fact, I feel like it might be time to go and hide my previous posts all the way back to the beginning because I do not want to embarrass him (with "cute" pics from when he and his brothers were in elementary school.)

I know I am supposed to monitor all my kids' social media activity but I am kind of tapped out with Instagram. I can't imagine adding facebook, twitter, and so on. I can barely deal with all the tech support that goes on in this house (with my boys' laptops, ipods, kindles, cell phones, etc.), yet I have heard of people who monitor their kids' every app purchase and text or share an email in box/smartphone so that all members of the family get the same messages. I felt like my privacy had been violated when I realized other family members could read messages I had sent to the mom. I can't even bear to listen to the ding-ding, ding-ding-ding of their devices when a text or other notification arrives, as it is just so frequent -- I can't imagine finding time to actually read the messages.

So, good news only. And I have to remind myself...


...which I don't, really. Otherwise we'll be late for baseball.

No comments:

Post a Comment


But no one will see it

I set up the nativity in the back yard again this year. In the past it has been out front near the fire hydrant that is on our property, and...