Sunday, February 2, 2014

Status symbol

"You have to change your status? What is that, like hashtag in the car on the way to the bus, hashtag swag, hashtag doctor's appointment, hashtag YOLO, hashtag status update. Cackle snort."

"No, honey, it's nothing that exciting. It's just letting people know I'm not at my desk." It was only 7:15 but I'd been working a little because my colleagues across the globe were getting ready to end their day. Not that anyone in our time zone would expect me to be working...or maybe they would. I just closed my work laptop and it's the middle of the Super Bowl, for example.

Regardless, I set my status to "I am away from my computer right now." I'd told my hashtag son I'd drive him to the bus stop before I took his brother to his before school doctor's appointment for the foot pain he's been having (turns out he just needs to listen to his body and quit overdoing it -- like playing on three basketball teams might be a bit over the top).

I suppose the fact that I was untethered from my computer until 9 a.m. that day was a status symbol...

No comments:

Post a Comment


But no one will see it

I set up the nativity in the back yard again this year. In the past it has been out front near the fire hydrant that is on our property, and...