Thursday, March 10, 2011

Top 10 countdown: signs of spring

10) It’s only in the 30s, but my boys have begun wearing shorts to school. “I didn’t know it was shorts weather,” a dad at the bus stop commented.

“I don’t have any shorts!”
“Yes, you do – what about your favorite basketball shorts?”
“They’re too short!”
“Since when, you wore them all season?”

“Mom, where are my shorts!”
“Uhhhm, in your closet, where they always are?”

Today, they pulled shorts out of unwashed laundry.

9) The iceberg in our front yard is receding. In some places we can see the grass. My oldest no longer wants me to wait for the bus with him (since now he is sure the driver can see him over the snow banks).

8) Baseball is top of mind:

“Mom, did you know Lowell Spinners tickets go on sale March 15?”
“Mom, did you know that the Red Sox are already playing pre-season games?
“Mom, did you know the Red Sox beat the Yankees?”

7) Road closings because of rivers cresting: the buses are all parked at the school complex instead of the usual lot, since no doubt any day now the road it’s on will be flooded.

6) There aren’t any snow pants, mittens, hats and boots drying on all my dining room chairs in front of the fireplace.

5) The trees are beginning to morph from gray and brown to the gold color that precedes green.

4) We’re going to change our clocks to daylight time this weekend (Spring Forward)

3) I caught one of my sons whistling to the mourning doves while waiting for the bus a few days ago. (People have told me the mourning doves are around all year, but I have only noticed them this week.)

2) It’s in the air. What’s that smell – mud?

1) The number one sign – the “strike zone” on the utility pole across from our bus stop.

No comments:

Post a Comment


But no one will see it

I set up the nativity in the back yard again this year. In the past it has been out front near the fire hydrant that is on our property, and...