Wednesday, May 5, 2010

Forgetful

My oldest forgot his recorder one day last week. I could have been annoyed because he had forgotten his clarinet two days prior, but I chose not to be. I needed to drop off my youngest at preschool that day, so I figured I’d just stop in at the elementary school on my way back and use that opportunity to deliver a note about childcare arrangements while I would be out of town the following week.

I walked into the school at 9:05. Because it was before the official start to the day, the doors weren’t locked yet. I went straight to the office.

When I walked in the door, there was my oldest, along with a classmate, standing next to the vice principal’s desk.

“What are you doing here?” we both said to each other at the same time. Then we both laughed.

“I’m doing the announcements today,” he told me. I waved his recorder at him and set it down on the front desk in front of the secretary.

“Oh, can I listen?”

He looked at me blankly.

“Or would that be weird?”

Still no comment.

“I’ll go out in the hall...”

So I went and parked myself in one of the chairs in the “waiting area” in the front entrance.

The secretary popped her head out and told me that I’d be able to hear better if I stood in the doorway to the gym. While I was waiting, one of the ladies I know from the morning welcoming committee finished her shift and came over to stand with me. Together we listened to my son and his class mate tell how it was a half day, and if anyone brought a lunch or lunch money they needed to come to the office (since that meant their parents did not remember it was a half day), wish happy birthday to a couple of kids, and then say the Pledge of Allegiance and have a moment of silence. (I’ve been meaning to ask my son what they think about during the moment of silence and if their teachers had ever offered any guidance on that.)

Shortly thereafter, my son and his classmate walked out of the office and towards the classroom and I was still standing in the gym entrance with the other mom.

“Nice job!,” I said as I waved to the kids.

“Uh huh. Bye mom,” my son answered. His classmate didn’t answer at all.

I have no idea if they thought it was weird that I was there. Perhaps I’ll include that question when I remember to bring up the moment of silence. I was glad I was there, though.

No comments:

Post a Comment


But no one will see it

I set up the nativity in the back yard again this year. In the past it has been out front near the fire hydrant that is on our property, and...