Thursday, March 4, 2010

With great privilege comes great responsibility

"Do you think I am old?" we were driving in the car and I was poking buttons on the car radio.

"No, you're only like, 15," my middle son answered.

"Well, I just wondered if you thought I had 'old' taste in music." I was listening to a classic rock station in the car. A song by Boston was on. I thought about a conversation I had earlier in the day and wondered if anyone under 30 knows who Led Zeppelin is. I think they must. My friend said no way. I didn't figure I'd ask my kids, because I'm pretty sure they don't. But I am going to have to do something about that, and Aersosmith, too. And so on.

My oldest said, "funny how grownups always want to be younger, but kids always want to be older."

"Well, how older? Old to you is like 20, right?

"No, mom, old is in your 60's!" my middle son said.

"Well, I don't know, I think it's all relative. You're only as old as you feel anyway."

"I just want to be 16," said my oldest. "So I can drive." (I refrained from reminding him that when he gets his license, I am planning on sitting in the back seat and thrashing and shrieking with uncle. And maybe I'll kick his seat a few times, too.)

"With great privilege comes great responsibility," I told him.

"No, mom, it's 'with great power, comes great responsibility.' " My middle son corrected me.

"I'm pretty sure the saying is 'privilege,' honey."

"No, mom, it's 'power.' " my oldest confirmed. "That's what they say in Spiderman."

"Oh, well, either way, the responsibility part is the same. If you get your license, you'll want a car. If you have a car, you'll need a job, so you can pay for gas, maintenance, and insurance. That's the responsibility part. Don't be in too much of a hurry..."

My oldest just turned 10. When I was tucking him in tonight, he stated, "I'm a tween. I wish I was a teen."

"Well, you will be before you know it. Don't rush it. You're a good age," I said, remembering where I was at age 10. I lived in Rhode Island and had my own pony. And we played outside in the neighborhood until the streetlights came on every day. "I'll see if I can find some pictures of myself at your age."

A friend of mine who I haven't seen in a while emailed me tonight and said, "I'm glad the boys are doing well. They must be getting so big!! They'll be taller than you before you know it!"

I wonder if I'll feel old then?

No comments:

Post a Comment


But no one will see it

I set up the nativity in the back yard again this year. In the past it has been out front near the fire hydrant that is on our property, and...