Monday, March 22, 2010

Sports psychology

Tonight we had my oldest's baseball evaluation. His younger brother hung out with the "sibling club" in the school where tryouts were held. This just means he ran around loose with a bunch of other kids who tagged along, until he met up with my youngest and me, who were watching the first part of the evaluations from an elevated track-balcony that overlooked all the stations. I had brought dinner in a cooler, since we were planning to go straight to Boy Scouts after, but as it turned out, it was cancelled because some kids were sick, we were going to be late, and actually everyone has MCAS tomorrow. My youngest played his DS and I did a little editing, and then I timed the kids (my middle son had sought us about by then) running around the track a few times. No wonder everyone's tired tonight (well, actually, I don't know why I am...could it be a rainy Monday?).

On the way home, my middle son and I were talking with my oldest about how he did, since we watched all of the drills. I told him I was amazed at what a good pitcher he is, and how he hit just about every ball. My middle son said, "Yeah, you were like the only one pitching right," (which I am sure is an exaggeration, but they've both been attending a pitching clinic and have learned some very specific things). I said, "Oh, and I noticed how fast you are." (Baserunning drill.) My oldest said, "I didn't do so great at catcher..." I hadn't actually seen that drill, but added, "And you were better at infield than outfield -- but that's why they have evaluations, so they know what your strengths and weaknesses are." My youngest, wanting to participate in the conversation, said, "Yeah, you're just really awe SOME!"

We'll be repeating this scenario tomorrow night for my middle son's evaluations. He is trying to play up in a new division; his birthday is so close that he doesn't automatically qualify.

Because we didn't go to Boy Scouts, we had a little extra time this evening to hang out. My oldest and I were in the kitchen and his brothers were off doing who knows what -- but it wasn't showering, because it was a full hour later before I could convince anyone to do that ("I'm not going first!" "Well, I'm not, I went first last time!" "I always go first!") -- and we talked about all the good things you learn in sports: teamwork, taking turns, how to handle winning and losing (some members of our family need a little more practice with the losing half of that aspect)...and my son said something about not being afraid to get dirty or hurt. I suppose those are important lessons as well, and though I don't like to think of my boys getting hurt (which reminds me, I need to register them for football), though the dirty part is old hat. We have been coexisting quite nicely with laundry all over the dining room table for the past week or more (I am trying to decide if I should put winter clothes away yet; I have already begun getting out the summer clothes.). I actually said to one of my sons (who saved his weekend homework for this morning), "Does it bother you to have all that laundry all over the place, or are you grateful for clean clothes?"

Quickly he replied, "I'm grateful for clean clothes." (Thus ensuring I wouldn't ask him to carry his share up to his room.)

I've also adapted the "Head, shoulders, knees, and toes" song to address the parts of the body that must be washed in the shower, and I do sometimes sing it to the boys from the other side of the curtain, and remind them to "use soap!"

No comments:

Post a Comment


But no one will see it

I set up the nativity in the back yard again this year. In the past it has been out front near the fire hydrant that is on our property, and...