Thursday, March 11, 2010

Crime doesn't pay today

I interruped a burglary at my house today.

When I called the police, I told them "someone just tried to break into my house" but as it turned out later, I realized they had been in the house and stolen some jewelry that I had left on the breakfast bar.

Long story short, after much ado with many police (God bless them) ultimately I was able to make a positive ID and the person was arrested, is spending the night in jail, and will be arraigned tomorrow.

Why a person would break into a house with a car in the driveway is beyond me.

I had to tell the kids. I didn't really want to, but when their school bus went by there were three police cars near my house and the suspect was being interrogated down the street in front of my neighbors' house. My kids weren't on the bus today, but one of the neighbor kids was, and all their friends on the bus could have easily looked out the window to see the cruisers and commotion. I wouldn't have wanted my kids to hear it from their friends.

They were freaked out. They wanted to discuss it at great length. I suggested they not let their minds go down dark paths. My oldest followed me around the house to make sure all the windows and doors were now locked. We had a "party" in the bathroom while all the boys took turns showering and then they all followed me around like little ducklings. Before they fell asleep in my bed, we all prayed. We thanked God that we are all safe, and we asked God to let the criminal have a good night's sleep in jail and to stay away from our house.

It feels creepy, but not as creepy as if the police didn't have someone in custody. And they said they'd spend extra time in our neighborhood tonight. My neighbors, whose house was also burglarized (they were not home), and I will get all our stuff back after it's used as evidence in court. As the lieutenant said, "All's well that ends well."

No comments:

Post a Comment


But no one will see it

I set up the nativity in the back yard again this year. In the past it has been out front near the fire hydrant that is on our property, and...