Wednesday, March 3, 2010

Brotherly love

This morning my oldest was incredibly disappointed that his youngest brother "erased all" on his Yoshi's Island DS game. I don't really know exactly what that means, but I can guess that it means his pre-reading brother deleted all the levels his brother had achieved in the game over who knows how long. I am sure my youngest would not have done that on purpose. To my oldest's credit, he did not yell at his brother or scold him or try to lay the guilt trip on him. I pointed this out to my youngest, who I am sure was very relieved. I told my oldest I could see how disappointed he was and that his brother didn't mean to do that. But I am not sure I made a big enough deal out of the fact that he didn't blow up.

This evening, the Bigs had a baseball clinic and my middle son was reluctant, to put it mildly. He had forgotten I was picking them up early at extended day and was upset that he wouldn't get time in the gym that he had been waiting for. I pointed out, "well, you just came from Games, Games, Games (an enrichment program he goes to on Tuesdays) and we're on our way to baseball." So? Then he didn't like the glove he was going to use (since he can't find his regular glove...again!). When I dropped him off he was grouchy. Apparently he held it together in the land of testosterone, though. I am sure they wouldn't tolerate the whining for a minute.

So, I went to get my youngest at daycare while the Bigs were pitching. He was thrilled that his book order had come. And appreciative. We got back to the baseball place in time to watch the boys for a while and talk with another of the parents we know who was actually my oldest's coach last season. When we left, my middle son's attitude was adjusted. He read books to his younger brother the whole way home.

We made cupcakes tonight. I delighted in the family harmony. It is not always this way. In fact, it is not usually this way! But as I have mentioned previously, I could either focus on SOS DD or look for moments like these. My oldest fell asleep on the couch tonight and I carried him up to bed and tucked him in, just because I still can.

No comments:

Post a Comment


But no one will see it

I set up the nativity in the back yard again this year. In the past it has been out front near the fire hydrant that is on our property, and...