Thursday, March 11, 2010

Book discussion group

Today was my "literature circle" in my oldest son's class. On my way in, I saw my middle son in the hallway on my way in and was greeted with, "Mom, what are you doing here?" I caught up to him and we walked together until the hall way split and he continued to the boys room and I got off on the exit to his brother's class. He let me hug and kiss him (no one else was around) -- I would have settled for an elbow touch!

My reading group has six kids. They were a tough crowd today. My own was a bit clingy, the boy on my left didn't like the book. (I told him that's okay as long as he can articulate a reason.) Then there was a boy who forgot his book and didn't feel like sitting in a chair, another boy who wanted to draw pictures of horses with girl next to him (the only girl in the group) and lastly, a boy who is obsessed with Revolutionary War heros. We had to talk about six chapters. I had read the entire book weeks ago and was supposed to reread these six chapters, but truthfully, I had only re read one of them. I had planned to do it last night, but I spent last night trying to catch up on work after not accomplishing as much as I hoped during the afternoon given the big excitement in our neighborhood. The kids were all agog because they'd had a field trip yesterday, the weather is warmer, and it's right before lunch and recess and they were hungry and antsy. I consoled myself by thinking "I can handle this for 45 minutes." And I did. I don"t know how teachers can do it all day, though. And with four times that many kids!

I like asserting my presence at the kids' school. Their friends often talk to me in the hall. Many of them have been on sports teams with my kids or are in boy scouts together, or were in their classes last year or the year before. I have to enjoy this while I can because it's not likely that my oldest will want me to volunteer in middle school next year!

No comments:

Post a Comment


But no one will see it

I set up the nativity in the back yard again this year. In the past it has been out front near the fire hydrant that is on our property, and...