Wednesday, March 11, 2009

No time to brush?

My children announced at the bus stop today that they hadn't had time to brush their teeth. I was astounded. I remember looking up from the hubbub at one point in the morning -- my middle son doing his homework while eating his breakfast, my oldest doing anything he could to distract him (which was something akin to yodeling after I insisted he keep his hands to himself), and my youngest telling me he needed help with his shirt (which he did not, he needed attention), the dog and cat orbiting me, and an early morning conference call in the background, while I was trying to make the lunches and ensure everything everyone needed was laid out next to their backpacks (recorder for oldest, library books for middle, snow suit and boots for youngest), and consume enough coffee to continue functioning. And I haven't had time to write in long enough that I am feeling "backed up" and I have a column due and need to write something for church invocation this Sunday. But yet, I still make time to brush. "But you get to stay home all day, Mommy!" my son said. Does he assume I am sitting at home in my pajamas watching Nickelodeon and eating toaster pastries (which is what he would be doing if I hadn't reoriented him this morning)?

No comments:

Post a Comment


But no one will see it

I set up the nativity in the back yard again this year. In the past it has been out front near the fire hydrant that is on our property, and...