Sunday, October 19, 2008

Sunday dinner and the Game of Life

Today after church, my friend and I decided we would have Sunday dinner at her house. We've been wanting to figure out a weekend gig for a while and this seemed to be the right time. She told me she had some corned beef, we could have boiled dinner. So, I set off to get appetizers, drinks, salad, and dessert. The boys and I went to the supermarket and somehow spent $81, though we did get a few things for pasta night. I only had the Bigs, and my friend has two kids, so it was a nice small crowd, like a sibling group, really. I decided I'd bring over the Game of Life and the Guiness Book of World Records (this sure has changed since I was a kid) and the kids didn't have the TV on at all.

We had a little time at home in between the supermarket and our dinner, so we had a neighbor boy come over to play Lego's. We got a new table yesterday from our friend who is moving and it is perfect in the living room -- it's a big square. Perfect for Legos, or a board game (the kids were so excited about the Game of Life that they wanted to play it again when they got home).

On our way to dinner, we stopped to get some birthday presents for Grandma and another friend, whose birthday is today. We'll celebrate on Pasta Night, which is actually my mom's birthday.

The kids were so excited about "winning" at the Game of Life. What a timely and relevant game for them, since they have been talking lately about what they want to be when they grow up. Tonight they asked me how do you afford college, how long do you have to go, do they want to get married and have a family, what kind of car or home is a good investment...I had bought this game for my oldest for Christmas and we never opened it. I guess timing is everything.

We fed the kids first (we do this at pasta night, too, since both of us have smallish tables and not too many chairs!), and then they got right back to their game. As my friend and I had our dinner, we talked about how these were the memories our kids would have when they grew up: how lucky they are to have Pasta Night, Ladies' Night, and now Sunday Dinner.

(My middle son had requested "Ladies Night" when asked what kind of party he wants for his birthday for the past two years!)

<><><><><><>

I still have a column to write for tomorrow! Not sure how that's gonna happen...

No comments:

Post a Comment


But no one will see it

I set up the nativity in the back yard again this year. In the past it has been out front near the fire hydrant that is on our property, and...