Friday, October 17, 2008

Night out -- not!

My mom texted me at 2:30 this afternoon and asked me if I wanted to go out tonight; she would come and watch a show with the boys. I told her she was welcome to come over and watch a show, but I doubted I'd want to go out. (Sometimes I feel like I should seize the opportunity, but am then stumped for what to do with it.) So I asked if she could come by 5:30 so I didn't have to drag the Bigs to get my youngest at daycare. She did, and took them shopping at WalMart. I took my youngest to the supermarket. We had an episode about the fruit rollups that I refused to buy. I couldn't justify it when they were $5 a pound more than fruit snacks. I wasn't going to buy the loaf of bread I really wanted for $5.69, so no way was I going to shell out for $8-plus/pound fruit rollups when the plain old fruit snacks were in the $3/pound neighborhood. I wound up buying neither. My youngest insisted that fruit snacks are stupid. It was not a pleasant scene and he took off to go find the fruit rollup aisle when I was in the checkout line. Fortunately, I made it through my whole transaction without panicking and then right before I was going to abandon the cart and go looking, he came back around and told me he couldn't find the fruit rollups. This goes on and on, ending with me jollying him into putting his seat belt on in order to go home and watch a show with the Bigs and Grandma (there was a point that it was so bad I was just considering putting the child locks on with him flailing around the back of the car like a shrieking octopus...I had frozen food that needed to find its way back to a freezer sooner rather than later). Grandma's help enabled me to work until 10:30 p.m. (with some time out to tuck my one very tired youngest son into bed at 8:30, and the cheerful Bigs at 9:30 (who even brushed without asking.) And now I sit in bed with my laptop watching "Sex and the City!" Some night out. But at least I am not obsessed about my corporate to do list...

No comments:

Post a Comment


But no one will see it

I set up the nativity in the back yard again this year. In the past it has been out front near the fire hydrant that is on our property, and...